Monday, October 5, 2009

Yam-tastic.

Oh my gosh! Layout change! Hopefully this will fix those chopping problems it's been having. I'll colour it better later.

A rather eventful week. I forgot to mention last week that the college that I attend has been upgraded to university status. That's correct! I have moved up a rung on the educational achievement scale. Grant MacEwan College is now MacEwan University. Now I can select “university” when checking off “highest educational level” on job and credit card applications. The universities aren't happy about the change, because they feel that it's lowering the value of universities, but MacEwan is happy because screw those other guys. Mac U, baby! *wicked sweet electric guitar wail*

Changed phone providers over to a plan with Bell. I was using pay and talk with Telus, but I know a guy at Bell and he got me a decent deal. To get my phone number transferred from Telus I needed my account number, but didn't know it off the top of my head. So I was standing in the Bell store for about fifteen minutes trying to get a person from my Telus phone to tell me what my number was. After I got it she said something like “Are you aware of our something something deal?” And I said, “no, but that's all I need today, thanks.” And then she didn't stop talking about the something something deal. Being naturally polite I kept waiting for a good place to say good “no thank you, goodby” but it just never came. Then I finally realized I don't need anything from Telus anymore, so I interrupted her and said “well, that's all I need, goodbye” and hung up. Have you ever just hung up on a telemarketer? Man, it feels good because screw those guys.

Saw Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs on Saturday night. The movie was surprisingly good, except for the fact that it was only available in 3D. Anyone who remembers my review of Up! may recall that I'm of the opinion that whoever resurrected 3D for this decade should be dragged into the street and shot, but not until he gives me the eight dollars that he's charged me to watch this stupid, pointless, non-effect. Maybe once every twenty minutes something would sort of loom out of the screen at you, but it's PATHETIC.

So I'd definitely recommend the movie. Just make sure you go to a theater where you don't have to pay an extra four bucks because screw those guys.

Enjoyed General Conference. Can't really remember any highlights, but I did miss the first 15 minutes of the Sunday afternoon session due to internet issues, so for all I know somebody rode in on a motorcycle. That would be awesome.
After conference we had a bunch of people over at our house to make a big Sunday dinner. Angela brought a big old yam, so we worked on making candied yams. She cut it up and I prepared according to a recipe I found on cooks.com. Unfortunately, after an hour or so of work, I messed up the final step. I put the marshmallows on and then put them in the oven to broil for a minute, but when I came back the entire thing was on fire. Apparently marshmallows brown rather quickly. Fortunately, the fire extinguisher that mom and dad got me for Christmas when I moved out (five years ago!) is always faithfully kept by the stove, and it works! Unfortunately the powder from the extinguisher, while non-toxic, does not taste very good. Sigh.

So the yams were a wash and I ended the evening hating myself, but every other course (roast, potatoes, gravy, vegetables, buns) went off without a hitch. And somebody brought those mint Girl Guide cookies, so rock on. We hung out and chatted for the rest of the evening, and that's why this update is going up at 1:00 AM. Fortunately, no assignments are due tomorrow. Yay!

Here are three hits from 5Secondfilms. Funny stuff.

Just another Monday



Bottles for Breakfast



Domestic Disturbance

No comments:

Post a Comment